Monday, January 26, 2015

Into the Woods: A Movie Review for Parents







"I was was raised to be charming, not sincere."

The movie, Into the Woods, had a number of  great proverb like take-aways.

Over Christmas, my daughter Samantha and I, went to see this movie. I hadn't realized it was originally a Broadway production (debuted 1987), a musical, nor did I expect the serious issues of death, infidelity, and child abandonment to be the modern twists to the Brother's Grimm Fairy Tales.

The four stories: Little Red Riding Hood, Cinderella, Rapunzel, and Jack in the Bean Stalk are all brilliantly woven together to support the main plot, a Baker and his wife want to reverse the curse of infertility. The cast includes: Meryl Streep, Emily Blunt, James Cordon.

Clever for sure.
Surprising (at least for me)
Post modern flare ( a little dark)


I was expecting a sweet story.
It isn't.
There are humorous scenes, some shocking moments, and a number of pearls of wisdom tossed in.

This movie would be an excellent movie to use as a spring board for some deeper conversations with your tweens to young adults.

(I love Johnny Depp but I have to say- his Big Bad Wolf is pretty creepy)

I wouldn't recommend this movie for parents looking for something light to watch with their little ones. It could be bad dream inducing.

But it is a good one for older kids, thirteen and up.

Here's the movie trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pjy5MK1X70





Let me know what you think.          
                                                                                                                                                                          
Wife to Tom, mom of four
Co-founder of 1 Corinthians 13 Parenting Co-Author of three practical and easily applicable parenting books. 







No comments:

Post a Comment