Monday, August 29, 2011

Echoes in My Mind

Theme for August: Communication
Verse:
"A wise man listens to advice." Proverbs 12:15
Mom's Musing:
When my family and I moved to Colorado we missed the lakes of Minnesota. One of our first excursions was to visit Echo Lake and then Summit Lake both located on Mount Evans. Mount Evans is one of the 54 fourteeners (mountains with their summit at 14,000 feet or more) in Colorado Thinking we'd combine the best of the Rocky Mountains with our love of the water, we packed swim suits and beach towels. Our neighbors recommended leaving our suits behind saying the lakes were mountain lakes. Being a born and bred Minnesotan, I knew better!
 "What a bunch of wimps! We swim in cold lakes all the time." We laughed and packed our suits. Our neighbors just smiled.
"Have fun!" I noted a little mischievous twinkle in their eyes.
We drove up the scenic highway, the highest paved road in North America. Beautiful scenery. The crisp mountain air turned  chilly. We noticed a little snow along the side of the road and in the hills. We drove past Echo Lake and climbed another 2,000 feet. Summit Lake was above the tree-line. Leaving the car we grabbed  the sweatshirts we had thrown in the trunk-just in case. We took the beach towels and wrapped them around our legs. We dipped our toes into the water. Whoa. We are talkin' cold! Colder than Lake Superior cold!
Tomorrow I'm hiking Mount Evans. I've never climbed a 14er before. I plan on following the advice of my hiking companions,the ones who have experience. I can still hear the echos of my neighbors' recommendation from years ago!
Parenting Tip: Model listening by considering and following wise counsel.

No comments:

Post a Comment