Monday, August 8, 2011

Talkin' Turkey

Theme for August: Communication
Verse:
"A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver." Proverbs 25: 11
Mom's Musing:
What comes to mind when you hear the word, turkey? Thanksgiving, a bird, Ben Franklin, bowling, an insult? How odd that one word has the power to present so many divergent thoughts. A couple of weeks ago my husband and I went bowling with a group of family members. I had a crazy streak of skill and got  two strikes in a row. As I clutched the ball for my upcoming turn, my husband called out, "Get a turkey." I had no idea what to make of that comment. As it turns out a turkey in bowling is like a Hat trick in hockey. Three strikes in a row makes a turkey. Unbelievably I did get that turkey! I won with an all time personal best of 136 points. Normally I don't break 100. Unwisely I chose to play a second round, finishing the game with a low of 90. In that second game, I was the turkey!
Parenting Tip: Avoid talkin' turkey. Be clear and direct when giving your children instructions to avoid a misunderstanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment