Monday, August 15, 2011

Tone Deaf

Theme for August: Communication

Verse:
 "He who guards his mouth and his tongue keeps himself from calamity." Proverbs 21:23

Mom's Musing: It's all in the tone. Words themselves don't carry a lot of weight. The tone attached to them however sends a powerful message. I wonder how many misunderstandings have been caused by tone-related situations. When pressed for time I can go into business-like mode; giving a short, crisp response to an inquiry. The efficiency I hope to gain is slowed down by the need to explain and reaffirm."No, I'm not mad at you. Just in a hurry. I didn't mean to sound angry."

Parenting Tip: Convey your message with a loving tone the first time. This way your words will not only be effective but will end up being efficient, too. (I need to remember this!)

No comments:

Post a Comment