Monday, January 2, 2012

Just Do It

Theme for January: Renewal and Resolution
Verse:
"I do not understand what I do.
For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do."
Romans 7:15

Mom's Musing:
2012 is here. Many New Year's resolutions will be made and most broken. When I resolve to avoid dessert, chocolate is all I want- it's all I think about. Maybe sugar isn't one of your temptations but you can relate. Really...why is that? Answer: personal cravings, sinful nature. Rather than tell myself "no sweat treats" I need to adjust my thinking. "I'll have an orange for dessert" or "I can have dessert on the weekends." Telling myself what I can do is more effective than saying what I can't do. What I can't do, I want to do. Retraining the thought process renews the mind.
Happy New Year! (I think I'll go with the weekend option for dessert!)

Parenting Tip:
Tell your children what they can do rather than state what they can't. Ex.: "Sit on the slide" rather than, "Don't stand on the slide." Or for the teen,"Drive the speed limit" instead of, "Don't speed."

No comments:

Post a Comment