Monday, August 27, 2012

Now What?













So mom...your kids are back to school. That definitely changes the day. Have you figured out your new schedule yet? Before it gets too full with volunteering, let me toss out a few ideas for consideration.
Prior to signing your life away on the volunteer sheet-think about what you really enjoy. Ask yourself these questions:
1. Do I like working directly with the kids?
2.Do I prefer to support the school in a more clerical manner?
3. Do I like committee work or would I enjoy running a committee?
4. Is supervising or planning a field trip more up my alley?
5. Do I enjoy planning and running the classroom parties?
6. Would I rather make or purchase party treats or favors?
7. What type of volunteering fits into my daily life?

For moms of the younger kids...here is a recommendation. Don't do everything. Pick and choose. There are many opportunities at the elementary level to get involved.(Seasoned moms know this!)Then all moms...listen up!
Set aside time for your own personal development.
Join an exercise class, a bible study, or book club. Maybe even do a new activity with a friend. Begin nurturing those neglected female friendships. These endeavors are not selfish. They are actually good for a woman's mental and emotional well-being. Men typically appreciate it when their wives discuss things at length with girlfriends and then later receive the cliff notes. Women tend to explore the details surrounding things but men...not so much. I recall one time I was relaying a story to my husband, I stopped to take a breath-and he thought I was done. (I was just getting warmed up!) My girlfriends will participate in the dissection of an event. My husband  doesn't appreciate that form of  communication. He prefers  to move into problem solving mode immediately. I am a better wife when I have friends.
Female friendships among women are good for the soul and the marriage.

Be deliberate and not over zealous in your volunteering at school. Make some intentional choices to care for yourself and your marriage.
"A sweet friendship refreshes the soul."
Proverbs 27:9 The Message

Have you been in the  position of over-extending yourself? How did you learn to say no?

No comments:

Post a Comment