Monday, July 21, 2014

Caught by His Holiness

Friends,
Today I have the pleasure of having friend and author Kathy Howard guest blog. Enjoy!
Lori 


Caught by His Holiness

Who among the gods is like you, Lord? 
Who is like you— majestic in holiness, awesome in glory, working wonders? 
Exodus 15:11 

The power of the ocean surprised me. I had heard stories of rogue waves, dangerous currents, and destructive tsunamis, but I had never experienced them. That was before the Pacific caught me in its pull.
Our family was vacationing on the Hawaiian island of Kauai. We rented boogie boards earlier in the day and I eagerly wanted to try mine out. When we hit the beach, I didn’t hesitate. I jumped right in and paddled out to catch the waves. Unfortunately, by the time I realized they were breaking too far out for boogie boarding, I was in over my head. So with my upper body on the small board, I began to kick my way back to the beach.

Despite my efforts I couldn’t make any progress. In fact, after several minutes of trying I was farther away from the beach and farther down the shoreline. The board was strapped to my wrist so I let it trail behind me and began to swim. I swam until I was exhausted and swallowing water, but I was even farther from shore.
Powerless against the riptide, all I could do was cling to the board and holler for help. My dear husband, who came quickly to my side atop his own boogie board, talked me through riding out the current. Soon we were safely on the beach.

That experience gave me new respect for the ocean. I had heard of its power, but without first-hand knowledge I treated the water too casually. My new attitude does not prevent me from enjoying the ocean, but I approach it differently than I did before. The personal encounter with its power changed everything.

Likewise, intellectual assent to the holiness of God is not the same as personal experience. 

We can mentally agree to the truth that God is holy, but when we come face to face with His holiness we are forced to respond. 

But how will we respond? Will we offer our holy God the holy life He deserves?

In what ways could an encounter with God’s absolute holiness reshape and deepen your relationship with Him?




Kathy writes to keep busy while drinking coffee and eating chocolate. She helps women live an unshakable faith for life by encouraging them to stand firm on God no matter life’s circumstances. Find out about more: www.kathyhoward.org







Kathy Howard’s new book, Embraced by Holiness: The Path to God’s Daily Presence, helps readers discover a deeper intimacy with God through a life of holiness. This six-week, interactive Bible study explores why believers should pursue holiness and guides readers through practical steps to pursuing a holy life.

4 comments:

  1. Lori, thank you so much for allowing me to share with your readers today. You know, just when I think I understand God and His holiness, He gives me a new glimpse and I realize I've only begun to plumb the depths! It will take an eternity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy..I know what you mean. We can really only scratch the surface.So many layers to this. Thanks for guest posting. Loved having you!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for your great analogy Kathy. I had a similar experience in Maui, head over heals, pounded into the sand by one wave. God's holiness is amazing, awe-inspiring, and to be treated with respect. Thanks for sharing your wise words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becky, that's a scary event! Glad you made it okay. And yes, God's holiness is "amazing, awe-inspiring, and to be treated with respect." Thank you for sharing that!

      Delete