Monday, November 5, 2012

See the Son



“They just got a new house.” “Her husband surprised her with a trip for their anniversary.” “She just found out she’s pregnant.”

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not a bitter person. I’m sincerely happy for people when good things come their way. But when times in my life are more of a struggle than a blessing-I wonder, “When is it my turn?”
That thought has the potential to morph into self-focused pity; the feeling of not being able to get out of bed or not wanting to open the blinds to let in the sun.

But…God has shown me how to open my blind eyes and let in the Son.

 Praise.

Praise God when you don’t feel like it. In the book the Hiding Place, Corrie Ten Boom talks about being a prisoner during World War II.  Corrie’s sister, Betsy, tells her to be thankful in all circumstances. Sarcastically, Corrie says she’s going to thank God for the lice. As it turns out, the insects had a purpose. Corrie and her sister were able to hold a Bible study in the German prison camp because the pests prevented the guards from entering the barracks.

I have found my lice-filled, heartbreaking situation may not change but when my focus is readjusted my thought process is transformed. 

I can do this with God’s help…but it isn’t easy.

When the enemy gets God’s people to only see ourselves in comparison to others, our joy is stolen. Enough of that! Are you with me? Grab it back! Praise God for who He is. Thank Him for what He has done. Choose to see the many blessings in front of you and respond with a grateful heart. Life is full of unexpected challenges and blessings. During those times that are consumed with disappointment, first honestly cry out and then start praising God.

Praise is the best offensive weapon against despair.

Do not be anxious about anything,
but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.
And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding,
will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4: 6-7

How have you dealt with life’s disappointments? How have those disappointments affected your relationships with the Lord?

No comments:

Post a Comment