Monday, July 8, 2013

A Summer Picnic Jesus Style


What would you serve at a picnic for 5,000 guys and their families? How does five small barely loaves and two small fish sound? Well...invite Jesus and you are good to go!

Jesus took the young boy's lunch, gave thanks, and distributed the bread and fish. Everyone had more than enough to eat. And...there were even left overs!

Reading about this miracle in John 6, I am reminded that Jesus is the miracle worker. Smaller principles also pop into my head like picking up after myself and not wasting food. I've studied this miracle LOTS of times but recently I had an epiphany!

The young boy, with Andrew's help, brought  his lunch to Jesus.

When I think of how the Lord created me, I often don't believe I have enough to offer. I just have a small sack of stuff, unlike others who have large gifts to offer. It's hardly worth saying or doing something when the guy next to me is so well-equipped.

The boy had little but offered everything. Did he feel unsure, inadequate, ill-prepared? Scripture doesn't say. But it does say he offered his entire meal to Jesus. Then Jesus, the miracle worker, did his thing. Notice, the boy is a big  part of the event! He showed willingness, generosity, and faith to turn over his food. Had he not provided his fish and chips, Jesus still would have fed the crowd, but the child would have missed out.

The boy had the blessing of being a part of the miraculous event. God didn't need the boy to feed the folks, just as He doesn't need us to be a part of His work ....but He does invite us to join Him. He wants to share the blessings that result from His work.

The child had a front row seat to the miracle Jesus did with his brown bag. How cool. What an impact that must have made. I'll bet the boy was never the same after being apart of this experience.

So... I can choose to consider myself inadequate and not be a part of what The Lord is doing. OR I can trust that even in my insufficiency, I have a God who is all sufficient and He will make up for what I lack.

He does the equipping, He provides the miracle. 

Here's the challenge. Let's show our kids how to step it up in faith by stepping out of our unbelief. Let's show them how to "share our lunch" with willingness and generosity, while trusting in God. No matter what we have in our bag, God can multiply it and do GREAT things.

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, 
according to his power that is at work in us, 
to him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, 
for ever and ever! Amen

Where is God calling you or your child? What are the hesitations or reservations? 

No comments:

Post a Comment