Monday, October 19, 2015

I Vote No to the Frenzied Family Life. Are You with Me?






A few weeks ago my oldest kiddo had the day off of work. She and I decided to take full advantage of it. We had a girl's day. We got a manicure and then headed to the mall for lunch and little shopping.

Self indulgent? It sounds like it is but I prefer to look at it as an investment in our relationship. (Tom is saying, "Good spin, Lor.")

Anyway...
as we walked through the mall, (wait for it)...  Santa along with all the trimmings were commandeering the 2nd floor of the Park Meadow Mall.

October hadn't even breathed its first breath! 

I felt a chill. My heart skipped a beat. The hustle, the bustle, the hurry... is beginning. 

We forget, I forget...life is precious. Time is limited.

Time should not be rushed.

As the holiday season breathes down on us, we pant busyness. We lament, "So much to do, so little time."

Stop. Inhale. Exhale. Look around.

Rather--Look up.

I vote no to the frenzied life. I reject the rush. I am against the fragmented family syndrome. 

I choose perspective, eternal perspective.

Are you with me?

Here are three values that have helped me (truth be told--I'm still in need of some intervention) keep life and the holidays in their proper place.
  •  People are more important than stuff.
  •  People are more important than chores, cooking, and cleaning.
  •  People are more important than my iPhone or screen time.

Here are 7 ways I can live out those values:

1. Plan times to hang out with family and friends. Commit them to the calendar. Then do it.
2. Divide up the household chores and errands. Distribute the responsibilities.
3. Create a no phone  and no screen zone space and time.
4. Avoid the joy stealing competition of  comparison that plays in my mind.
5. Whittle down the yeses to God's best for me, my time, and my family.
6. Be okay with good enough. Avoid catching the perfection infection.
7. Keep some white space on the calendar so I have some margin to serve or engage.

Are you with me?

 Let's cherish our loved ones. Let's spend time together. Let's laugh together. Let's enjoy the relationships the Lord has given to us.

I'm choosing to put away the time suckers and distractions in order to be present with family and friends...and whomever else the Lord would show me.

Are you with me? 

And for this holiday season, to Martha who lives in my head...I don't want you to leave, I just want you to move over a bit because I really want to have a Mary Christmas. 

As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him.  She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”

“Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things,  but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.” Luke 10:38-42
By, Lori Wildenberg
Join Lori, Becky, and the 1 Corinthians 13 Parenting team in Minneapolis for the HeartCORe Conference, November 14.  Keynotes and workshops are focused on the core values of family, faith, and education. Click here for more information. 









2 comments:

  1. Love, love, love this. Yes to all! I am with you, Lori! At our house, we practice "selective scheduling," because everything that is good to do is not good to do all the time or all at once. Have a "Mary," good-and-good-enough Christmas! (P.S. I'm working on a post about mom wisdom...I'd love to include a link to this piece. I'll be in touch to "officially" ask permission! :) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you are with me, Elizabeth. Love your idea of selective scheduling. Can't wait to see your blog on mom wisdom. Keep me posted!

      Delete